Friday, January 9, 2015

An Escape to Iowa.......Winter Fly Fishing in the Driftless

Iowa trout stream in January

It's hard to believe I was enjoying a calm 30-degree day on the water exactly one week ago.  Sure, my guides froze, but I was able to get in at least a dozen casts before I had to chip away the ice.  Sure, my feet got a bit cold at times, but it was nothing a brisk walk upstream didn't cure.  After the below zero temps we've been experiencing this past week in the Midwest, I imagine it would be difficult to find much open water or rising trout these days.  It makes me very thankful that I was able to enjoy a beautiful winter day on a nice Driftless stream at the start of the new year.  The midges were hatching and the trout were rising in every run.  Though the ice was thick in spots, there was enough open water to fill the day.  I was hoping for a little dry fly fishing on this trip but didn't expected to do it exclusively.  I ended up casting to rising trout with tiny midges all day long:)

 





1 comment:

  1. Hello from Australia,
    I came across your site yesterday when I typed in "Cane rods and tweed coats". I'm enjoying reading your posts. You live in a lovely area and appear very in tune with the environment and your family. My wife, son and I live in a semi-rural town where I work in a bakery that backs on to a small trout stream , one of many in and around our town.
    Our winters do not get as cold as yours but occasionally, when I've fished an alpine stream or small lake, I've had my runners ice up. I question my sanity when I fish in conditions like that! That's where the heavy tweed jacket, woolen pants, layered clothing and a warm cap such as balaclava or Afghan pakol earn their keep.
    Thanks for sharing these moments,
    Cheers,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete